I’ve been missing the warmer weather, but this soup is perfect for a rainy summer evening when you don’t want to spend a lot of time prepping dinner (also it’s great for lunch and leftovers the following days). I definitely recommend letting the flavor simmer for some time, but otherwise, this dish will only take 45 minutes from pot to bowl.
1 tbsp. Trader Joe’s Garlic and Herb butter
1 sweet onion, diced
1 tbsp. minced garlic
3 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes (will add a kick to the soup)
3 tbsp. flour
3 c. chicken broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans of Trader Joe’s Diced and Fire-roasted Tomatoes
3 tbsp. Tomato paste
1 pkg. of Trader Joe’s Cheese Tortellini
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
3 c. spinach, roughly 3 large handfuls
Kosher salt to season
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Basil, sliced for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, roughly 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until you call smell the flavors.
- In a small bowl, mix the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and flour and whisk to combine, then add seasoning to the pot and mix with the butter. Cook 1 more minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and bring to a boil,
- Add the tortellini and cook until the tortellini is floating, around five minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir.
- Add the cream and Parmesan and stir to combine, the soup will thicken
- Add spinach and let wilt. Stirring to make sure all is combined
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and serve in warmed bowls
Let me know if you would like more TJ’s recipes I am definitely getting into more vegetarian and vegan recipes!